Tuesday 18 November 2008

Kalles Kaviar and my family

When I first moved to England in 1999 I missed lots of things from Sweden - my family and friends, Swedish food and of course the Swedish bureaucracy with its efficiency. Over the years I miss Sweden a little bit less and in a way a lot more. I do not pack my suitcase full of Swedish food every time I go back to England, I do not crave filmjölk (soured milk) or blodkorv (black puddingish) anymore, I have got used to the English bureaucracy with it's Victorian banks and instruction books to fill out "simple" forms or applications. BUT, the agonising longing for my family and friends have not been cured, during the years it has grown stronger and more heartbreaking, maybe because I know that the longer I live here the harder it will be to "move home". I have lived in many countries and moved more times than I can remember still the move home is almost too hard to grasp. Hopefully we will be brave enough to take that step one day... In the mean time it's great to have such lovely friends here : )

Ohh and I do have one Swedish craving left - thank you Kirsty for buying tubes of Kalles Kaviar!

No comments: