Friday 20 February 2009

Show and Tell - Coffee

This month Fritt ur hjartat decide the themes -
6 februari VÄSKOR (Bags)
13 februari NÄRMAST HJÄRTAT (Closest to the heart)
20 februari KAFFE (Coffee)
27 februari OUMBÄRLIGT (indispensable)

I only got two things in common with coffee, I used to work at Starbucks when I first came to London 10 years ago, and secondly – I love the smell of coffee but not too keen on its taste. So, instead of writing around a subject I feel no real love towards I’m going to mingle with my real love – Mr TEA : ) When I first arrived to this strange and wonderful country I laughed at the obsession English people seemed to have for their tea (they even call their dinner tea sometimes which is really quite confusing). It’s estimated that 165 million cups are enjoyed by the Brits every day (http://www.tea.co.uk/factsheets.php). For many years I was an observer and only drank the occasionally cup now and again, but when I started working in an Estate agent’s my working colleagues got me hooked, I became a real tea drinker – no wonder as every time you make a cup for yourself it’s usual office policy to ask your fellow colleagues if they want a cup (yes that’s correct, it can quite quickly spiral out of control if you are more than 5 people working – in fact it would be really interesting to know the statistics of how many hours a week able educated workers makes tea each week and how much companies actually pay their workers in wages whilst making tea- think we’re talking about hours and billions : ).

When I moved down to Brighton and studied, I drank an enormous amount of tea in front of the Laptop and then it just spiralled out of control when I started working with me having up to 8 (big) cups per day. Unfortunately, research shows that caffeine might harm the foetus so when I fell pregnant I cut down to only 2 cups a day, it was painful but of course worth it : ) The moment I had Axel and was in the care of NHS (the National health service) they “made” me a tea member again by rolling in the tea trolley about 10 times a day (at least lol). It tasted divine, even more so just after giving birth being so tired and hungry all the time after 9 months of nausea. There are these advert on the telly about Brits wanting their own tea whilst abroad, and yes, I confess, I am one of those people, I do bring proper English brew with me when I go to Sweden (the closest Sweden comes to “proper” tea is Konsum’s Blå vitt English breakfast tea). And not just that, I sneak with the bags in the kitchen, not because I’m embarrassed, oh no, I sneak cos I’m afraid of not having enough for my whole trip should they be placed on the breakfast table for everyone to use – spoken like a proper addict! Anyhow, after all this writing about tea I must go and make myself a cuppa before the little one wakes up ; )



Imagine owning one of these combined tea makers and alarm clocks, brilliant!

Hope you all have a great weekend, I'm hoping the paper cutter will arrive today before I head out so I can start with the invitations tomorrow. J might have to work this weekend but that's ok, we could do with some extra pennies (who couldn't!). But we are having a couple (well, just us) evening, some nice food, wine and a good chat, a date at home : )


Här är fler Fredagsbloggare (more Friday bloggers) : Nilla, Anna, Desiree, Annika, Anne, Petra ,Anna-Saltis ,Millan, Anki, Marianne, Victoria, Lia, Cecilia, Leopardia, Marina, Marie, Strandmamman, Ulrika, Jemaya, MiaD, Ingabritt, maisoui, Moster Mjölgumpa, Erica, Taina, sparkling, Christel, ,emma, jennie, musikanta,

7 comments:

Fritt ur hjärtat said...

Smart tolkning, man måste ju inte beskriva kaffe, fenomenet te är ju "samma". Jag har ju fördelen att gilla både kaffe och te. Eftersom maken endast dricker te har vi alltid många goda sorter att välja på, ett enda krav utöver det valiga gäller både kaffe och te. Det ska vara ekologiskt!!

Meatbreak said...

Amazing! This might be my favourite of your posts now. 'Mr TEA'!! hahaha. Just two words made me laugh for so long.

I worked in coffee shops for about 5 years and only ever liked the smell of coffee, until I stopped working in them and then fell in love with it.

Anonymous said...

Men nu skojar du väl ändå...visst finns det hur många tesorter som helst att välja på nuförtiden?
Dessutom ekoligiskt odlat, som Simone påpekar. Det har vi på Hemköp!

Trevlig helg!

Taina said...

Bra!! Kaffe eller te, kaffe eller te. Jag tror de ger samma effekt. Ett beroende liksom. Den där kombinerade manicken är ju uuuursmart. Tänk vad man lär sig genom att läsa bloggar ;)
Ha en fin söndag.

Västmanländskan said...

Ja, te är ju också riktigt härligt. Hos mig blir det oftast kaffe på dagen och te på kvällen.

Marianne said...

Nu fick du mig att bli sugen på en cuppa! Men här i Kairo är klockan nio på kvällen, så det är inte dags för koffeintillskott, tvärtom.

Sara said...

Taina- Ja visst ar tea vackarklockorna bara sa bra, finns folk som samlar pa dem, men jag hade aldrig sett nagon innan jag googlade det i Fredags sa de ar inte sa vanliga precis : )

Vastermanlanskan - Forsoker inte dricka sa mycke svart te pa kvallen men det ar ju sa gott fast sen ar man vaken ett tag vilket ar lite negativt ha ha.

Marianne - oh va harligt att bo i Kairo, maste kika in pa din blogg nar jag mar battre!